Vegan Beer Battered Fish & Chips (VIDEO)

vegan Fish and Chips recipe

Fish

1 large long eggplant

1 ½   tsp kelp granules, milled to a powder

1 tbsp lemon juice

1 tsp garlic powder

2-3 cups vegetable broth

In a long casserole dish, mix together kelp granules, broth, lemon juice, and garlic powder whisk until smooth.

Cut the eggplant into ½ in thin fillet shapes (length-wise).  Add them to the casserole, ensuring that they are completely covered with broth mixture. Let the eggplant marinate for 3-5 hours.

beer batter Fish and Chips

Beer Batter

1 (12-ounce) bottle beer

1 1/2 cups organic all-purpose flour

½ cup organic all-purpose flour, reserved

1 tsp kelp granules

¼ tsp pepper

1 tsp salt

1 tsp garlic powder

Heat oil to 375 degrees F in a large pot or deep fryer. And preheat your oven to 225 degrees F.

In a large bowl, pour in 1 bottle of beer. Sift 1 1/2 cups flour into the bowl, whisking in gently until just combined, stir in spices.

edgy veg Fish and Chips

The Finished Product

Pat eggplant dry and season on both sides with salt and pepper and coat it in the beer batter. Dredge the eggplant in reserved flour and slide into oil as coated. Fry, turning over frequently, until deep golden and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes.

Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking sheet and keep warm in oven. Fry remaining fish in batches, returning oil to 375 degrees F between batches.

Serve eggplant-fish with French fries.

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Categories: Comfort Food, Easy Vegan Dinners, Episodes, Vegan Recipes

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

9 Comments on “Vegan Beer Battered Fish & Chips (VIDEO)”

1. Jacki
    April 1, 2014 at 1:31 pm #

So I think you are just the greatest thing! I make all your stuff (you make this transition a friggin breeze) and I made this. Only difference was I breaded it with the panko crumbs that you used when doing the fillet o-ish! I also did it in bite sized pieces and dipped it in the vegan tarter and oh my god THE BEST

• April 9, 2014 at 6:13 pm #

THAT SOUNDS AMAZING!!!!! I am so happy to hear that you love the recipes!! yippiieeeeeee!!!!!! Thanks so much for watching. I love what I do <3

2. May 6, 2014 at 8:02 am #

This is so imaginative! How much oil would you use if frying in a pan? I rarely deep fry anything but this looks worth trying out :)

• May 19, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

if simply frying in a pan, I would use about 1/4 cup of oil :)

3. May 18, 2014 at 6:00 pm #

delicious! I made the recipe today and was very very good, thanks for sharing <3

• May 19, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

Thanks for reading!!!!

4. Morgana
    May 21, 2014 at 5:22 am #

Why do you need to call it FISH if it’s vegan? Why do you need to make substitutes of the real thing instead of creating something and calling it by what it is.. Beer battered AUBERGINE

• May 21, 2014 at 10:03 pm #

Making things familiar to the masses makes eating vegan much more attractive to omnivores.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks